26 June 2024

Summer Holidays

12:00 pm - 5:00 pm

School Closes 12:00pm Wednesday 26th June

Find out more

View our full calendar

School Mural

School Mural

We are delighted to announce St. Andrew's has once again benefited from the Per Cent for Art...

Summer Fair

Summer Fair

SUMMER FAIR 😎We had a fantastic, sunny day today at St. Andrew's! From games and face-painting to...

Our Facilities

Football Pitch

We are so lucky to have a fantastic grass playing field on our school grounds. The children can play here during the summer months and it used by our soccer and GAA teams for matches and training. There is so much green space for us all to enjoy! 

Library

The St Andrew’s National School library is run by parent volunteers and all classes visit the library once a week. The library has a wide range of both fiction and information books. The children choose their own books with guidance from their teacher and the librarians. Over their time in St Andrew’s, the children will develop as readers and read a wide range of books.

Astro Pitch

The Astro Pitch is a lovely area for the children to play during break times. It is also used for PE and other outdoor activities. It is situated at the front of the school building and is often bathed in sunshine.  

Outdoor Classroom

Our outdoor classroom is a source of inspiration and joy for all the children during the spring and summer months. Here we can have outdoor lessons and it is a lovely space to observe nature in action all around us. It is inspired by the story of St. Andrew in the bible.

About Our School

The original St. Andrew’s School founded in 1827, was built in the centre of the village opposite St. Andrew’s Church and incorporated the Schoolhouse, residence of the School Principal. Mr. Sam Adamson, Principal, and his wife Zephra (Effie) lived there for over 20 years.

The school has grown in spurts over the years. In the years preceding the Great Famine of 1845 numbers may have been greater, but if not, St. Andrew’s remained a one teacher school for 127 years. The teacher acted as Principal and class teacher to all pupils from Infants to Sixth and sometimes Seventh Class. Records in the school date from only 1940 when there were 18 pupils on roll and Mrs. Ireland was Principal. She retired in January 1954, Mr. Sam Anderson was appointed Principal and his wife Effie was Assistant Teacher. There were 40 pupils on roll. It remained a two-teacher school until 1971 when a third teacher was appointed.

In 1972 the school moved to a new location set at the top of Chapel Hill on the edge of Lucan village. On 3rd November 1972 the new school site was officially opened by Mr. Padraig Faulkner Minister for Education and blessed by the Archbishop of Dublin Dr. Alan Buchanan.

We moved to our present new school located in St. Edmundsbury in 2015 and the fabulous new state of the art school was officially opened on the 29th April 2016 and blessed by Archbishop Dr. Michael Jackson.

 

  • 1827: 1 teacher school, Lucan Village
  • 1940: 1 teacher school. Principal Ms. Ireland
  • 1954: Principal Mr. Sam Adamson
  • 1972: New school on Chapel Hill
  • 1979: Principal Mrs. Inez Copper
  • 2011: Principal Mrs. Julie Chapman.
  • 2015: New school, St. Edmundsbury
  • 2020: Principal Mr. Padraic Byrne

Our Staff

Principal: Padraic Byrne

Deputy Principal: Tanya Sewell

 

Class Teachers

Junior Infants Rebecca Walker
Junior Infants Grace McCabe

Senior Infants Tanya Sewell
Senior Infants Alison Todd

1st Class Anita Williamson
1st Class Elspeth Ryals

2nd Class Mandy Walsh
2nd Class Isabelle Power

3rd Class Alan O’Dwyer
3rd Class Lynn Beattie

4th Class Alex Kavanagh
4th Class Maud Eadie

5th Class Anna Harper/ Caroline Dowd
5th Class Eve Moody

6th Class Karen Smith
6th Class Dewi Harrison

The Orchard Laura Lane

Special Education Teachers

Mary Ruane
Jane Crawford/ Elaine Kelly
Alex Rebello

Ruth Bennett

Damaris Isip

 

 

 

Special Needs Assistants

Sandra Owens, Marie Byrne, Elizabeth d’Estelle Roe, Sinead Donohoe, Anne Kilroy, Aoife O’Reilly, Aoife Bailey, Linda J.Ryan, Erica Cox, Shirley Bagnall, Emma Cullen, Lisa Byrne, Corina Grant Doyle, Martina Donohoe, Sinead Power.

 

Caretaker Gerard Bailey
Secretary Diane Bailey

Our Location

St. Andrews NS
Lucan Rd, St. Edmundsbury, Lucan, Co. Dublin, K78NX88

Phone: 01 6280975

School Office: stanso@eircom.net 

Contact Us

Consent